When it comes to running your business, business continuity is key to staying competitive in the modern business paradigm. And the most important part of business continuity is ensuring comprehensive data backup and recovery processes.
Backup and recovery includes the process of creating and storing copies of data that can be used to protect your business against data loss. When properly implemented, recovery from a backup usually involves restoring the data to the original location, or to an alternate location where it can be accessed in place of the lost/damaged data.
Common Causes of Data Loss
Data loss occurs in many different forms. The most common causes of permanent and/or temporary data loss are:
- accidental error or deletion of data
- employee theft
- competitor theft
- disgruntled employees delete key data on their way out the door
- hardware or software failure
- compatibility issues
- lost passwords
- data corruption
- malicious cyberattacks (ie. phishing, fishing, hacking, virus, malware, and ransomware)
- power grid outages
- lack of recent backups
- power surges blow out hard drives
Data loss also occurs due to natural disasters and weather-based environments, such as:
- tropical storms
- extreme heat
- deep freezes
Reasons for Comprehensive Data Backup Solutions
Data Recovery is Expensive
Once data is lost, getting it back can be difficult or impossible. If, for example, a server is damaged by floodwaters, removing the data can cost thousands of dollars. Lost data can be worse, affecting everything from accounting to customer access to online portals.
Hybrid solutions that combine the flexibility of the cloud with the redundancy of hardware solutions is a solution for backup that ensure Ed the best protection.
Minimize Downtime/Business Interruption
Business continuity is the key to operating efficiently. And data that is always accessible despite setbacks is key to running your organization optimally. This requires that backups are made on a consistent and regular basis to minimize the amount data lost between backups.
As more time passes between backups, the greater the potential for data loss when recovering from a backup brought by data corruption or malicious attacks. With proper backups in place, your staff can simply locate key information from their cloud storage or server solution to continue business as usual.
With sophisticated ransomware attacks that can hold your data hostage, having protections such as cryptolocker prevention ensures that your data won’t be encrypted by criminals in exchange for virtually-untraceable cryptocurrency.
When you have a data backup and recovery solution ready to go, you have an advantage over your competition. Businesses that have suffered huge data losses and security breaches can lose their positive reputation that may have customers looking for more secure options for their needs.
Data breaches reduce trust in your business itself, which impacts not only customer relationships, but also the confidence of staff, vendors/business associates, investors, shareholders, and future customers.
Beyond Cloud Storage
At first, it may seem that cloud storage can be a solution for businesses due to its flexibility, but there are a number of problems and drawbacks with a cloud-only backup solution:
- Cloud-based customers still need a solid backup solution that doesn’t rely solely on providers for data security.
- There needs to be layers of protection and redundancy if power should fail or if newer data becomes corrupted/lost; relying on the cloud may lead to interruptions while services come back online reliability
- In the event of a disaster, when public services may be unavailable, having servers and on-site storage can speed up disaster recovery efforts that cloud storage may not.
Frequency of Cyberattacks
Cybercrimes are on the rise. Companies that don’t choose the best IT-based solutions for their backup solutions may be defenseless against data loss and malicious hacks.
Some of the largest companies that may have neglected their security include:
- Bank of America
- And many more
To avoid loss of customer trust, extensive fines, and lost profits, having secure backups is a must no matter what size your organization is.
Lost data can mean serious liability issues and potential litigation – especially if it is deemed preventable.
For example, healthcare providers that experience a data breach can lead to HIPAA violations, which may shut your doors until a thorough audit is conducted.
With the reliance of remote work environments due to the COVID-19 pandemic and new operational procedures, having an accessible backup solution means that your business’ employees are able access your data whenever and wherever. This means that your team can work remotely as needed, collaborate on the same document or taskin real-time, and ensure the integrity of that information.
Backup Services from Root Port IT
Do you have a data backup and recovery solution you can count on?
Having a comprehensive data backup and recovery solution provides peace of mind for you, your employees, and your customers to:
- Retain your credibility
- Boost your reputation,
- And protect your private information.
In the event that you lose your data, you can easily recover it and continue on with your day.
Root Port IT offers the following backup solutions for your business:
- Comprehensive backup solutions, including cloud storage, on-site servers, and hybrid solutions
- Network protection by implementing top-of-the-line security software
- 24/7/365 network and breach monitoring
- Multi-factor authentication (MFA) for all accounts, requiring two or more credentials to log in with passwords, security keys, biometrics, and more.
- Establishing staff/employee training protocols to identify cyberattacks
- Comprehensive security assessments
- Automatic updates on all connected devices for critical protection against security threats
- And more
Contact Root Port IT today to learn more about our comprehensive backup solutions, as well as optimized cyber security solutions.